What to Do In a Common Dental Emergency
The panic, pain, and confusion that can occur during a dental emergency can make it difficult to manage the situation calmly, but if you know what to do, your chances of avoiding tooth loss and preventing serious complications.
Here are a few practical tips for handling most common dental emergencies:
- If you think your jaw is broken, apply a cold compress to minimize swelling, and immediately go to a hospital emergency room. Jaw injuries can be serious.
- If you bit your tongue or lip and are having heavy or constant bleeding, see an emergency dentist in Orange City or visit the emergency room.
- If a tooth has been knocked out, hold it by the crown and rinse the root with water. Avoid scrubbing the tooth and don’t disturb any attached tissue. Try to place the tooth back into its socket, but if that fails, place the tooth in a container of milk and promptly take it to an emergency dentist.
- If you broke a tooth, rinse your mouth with water and immediately visit an affordable dentist in Orange City.
- If you have a toothache, remove any trapped food particles with dental floss and rinse with water. Don’t place aspirin on the tooth or gums. See an emergency dentist as soon as possible.
- If a wire from your braces broke and is lodged in your tongue or gums, seek help immediately from an emergency dentist. If a broken wire is irritating your mouth, wrap the sharp end of the wire with gauze or cover it with beeswax and cotton until you can get proper dental care.
Finding an Affordable Dentist When You’re Traveling
A dental emergency is always inconvenient, and even more so when you’re away from home, but you can find an affordable dentist wherever you may be. Check the Yellow Pages, do a search online, contact the state’s dental association, or ask the hospital emergency room for a referral to an affordable dentist in the area. If you are out of the country, the U.S. embassy can give you information about local dentists.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Orange City, call Advanced Dental Care of Orange City today at (386) 951-1412 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orange City. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orange City, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orange City.