Preserve Your Smile with Proper Tooth Brushing Techniques
One of the most basic functions of good oral hygiene is brushing your teeth, but did you that how you brush matters as much as if and how often you brush? Proper tooth brushing techniques are essential to removing stray food particles that can cling to teeth and ugly plaque that can rapidly turn into calcified tartar—and that requires professional cleaning for removal. Buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth are key contributors to gum disease and tooth decay, both of which can destroy your smile over time. It may seem ridiculous to double-check your brushing habits, considering that most people learned how to brush their teeth as children. However, knowing the proper techniques for tooth brushing is vital to your dental care and overall health for a lifetime.
How to Brush Your Teeth Properly
Family dentistry experts agree that these tooth brushing techniques will help to preserve the health of your teeth and gums:
- Divide and conquer. Divide your teeth into four sections and spend equal time and effort brushing each area.
- Round and round. Use a gentle circular motion instead of vigorous up-and-down brushing to avoid damaging your teeth and gums.
- Timing is everything. Family dentistry practitioners recommend brushing your teeth for a minimum of two minutes to remove bacteria and food particles.
- Brush every tooth. Brush hard-to-reach areas and sensitive teeth. If it hurts to brush an area, see an affordable dentist in Orange City.
- Use the right tools. Replace your toothbrush every three to four months to ensure that your toothbrush is cleaning your teeth effectively.
The Right Tools for Proper Tooth Brushing
If you aren’t using the right set of tooth brushing tools, the proper dental care technique won’t be effective. Be sure to choose the right toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss:
- Use ADA-approved products. Look for the American Dental Association seal of approval on your dental care products.
- Maximize the potential of your products. Select toothpastes with multiple functions, such as fighting cavities, plaque, tartar and gingivitis, whitening teeth and reducing bad breath. Use a toothbrush that doubles as a tongue cleaner.
- Stock your toolbox. Don’t forget dental care products like mouthwash to guard against plaque and gingivitis, or floss to remove trapped food particles.
Remember, brushing keeps your teeth in good condition, but proper tooth brushing keeps your teeth in excellent condition.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Orange City, call Advanced Dental Care of Orange City today at (386) 951-1412 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orange City. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orange City, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orange City.