Don’t Panic – You Can Learn to Eat with Dentures
Affordable quality dentures help millions of people re-create their dazzling smiles. With access to information online, finding an affordable dentist is easier now than ever. Today’s dentures are more comfortable than those of decades past, and a denture implant can look and feel more like a natural tooth, but you’ll still encounter some challenges. Eating is one of them. Biting and chewing will feel different with dentures, and they may slip. Fortunately, the adjustment period is short, and you’ll soon be eating normally again. In the meantime, here are a few suggestions that can ease the transition.
7 Tips for New Denture Wearers
- Your sense of taste may seem dull when you first start wearing dentures. This phenomenon is temporary; as you adjust, food will regain its normal flavor.
- Your mouth is less sensitive to heat and cold when wearing dentures. To avoid burning your mouth or throat, eat carefully, and test the temperature of food with your fingers first if you’re not sure how hot it is.
- When you first start eating with dentures, choose soft foods like eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, cooked vegetables, chopped meats, fish, and pudding. As you adjust, you can add other foods back into your diet in small quantities.
- When you eventually start adding crunchy or chewy foods back into your diet, cut them into smaller pieces than usual, and chew them slowly.
- When you’re ready to tackle steak or corn on the cob, consider using a denture adhesive to help keep your dentures more secure, avoiding potentially embarrassing slips.
- To reduce the risk of slippage and even out the pressure on your dentures, chew half of the food in your mouth on the back-left side of your teeth and half on the back-right side.
- If you have an implanted denture, avoid hard foods like nuts and popcorn, and eat foods that are slightly warm or at room temperature.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Orange City, call Advanced Dental Care of Orange City today at (386) 951-1412 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orange City. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Orange City, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Orange City.